Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Great Expectations

The title of this celebrated Dickens novel not only describes the state of the main character for much of the book, but also describes my feelings towards the novel when I began to read it. I had heard much praise in favor of Great Expectations, and had owned the book for years before my Dickens class finally got me to read it. One of my most trusted literary counselors mentioned that it was both his favorite Dickens novel, and the most critically esteemed. I should have learned ages ago, however, that high expectations are the seeds of disappointment, and tragically this was once again the case. The story of young Pip's fortuitous rise to wealth and status did little to hold my interest, and in the end my great expectations led me to little more that a great sense of relief when the book was finished.

Touted as one of Dickens's most critically acclaimed novels, GE has been taught more frequently than any other Dickens novel (with the possible exception of the outstanding A Tale of Two Cities). The novel follows Pip, a young orphan who is raised by his older sister and blacksmith brother-in-law, from the poverty of his rural life on the marshes to his cosmopolitan existence in downtown London. Pip's rise in fortune is made possible by the aid of a mysterious benefactor who bankrolls Pip's gentlemanly aspirations in exchange for total anonymity. When informing Pip of his good fortune the enigmatic lawyer Jaggers states simply "he has great expectations." Pip, like any ordinary person, doesn't ask questions and takes the money. The rest of the novel examines the moral and psychological effects that Pip's newfound wealth have upon him, until his benefactor is ultimately revealed and the true nature of Pip's "expectations" becomes apparent. Though the story has all the hallmarks of the rags-to-riches type of stories that we tend to enjoy, the absence of any labor on Pip's part, as well as the total lack of wisdom with which he utilizes his wealth, leave the reader uninspired.

I had the good fortune to be reading this book for a class, and therefore I feel as though I was privileged with information and insights from classmates that made the reading process more interesting. But the truth is that I think Pip is a fool who behaves in an immature and irresponsible way throughout the entire novel. Two-thirds of the book is Pip running around ruining his own life and the lives of those around him. The novel's saving grace is in the cast of supporting characters. Jo Gargery, Pip's brother-in-law, friend, and mentor, is a model of morality, forgiveness, and charity. Other eccentric characters add moments of amusement and delight, such as the ruined Miss Havisham or the pleasantly duplicitous Wemmick. If you like good supporting characters who shine all the more brightly when compared to a particularly dreary main character, this book is for you.

In the midst of all my Pip bashing, however, I must pause to give Dickens some credit. As a narrator and main character Pip isn't very likable, however I have to admit that he seems a lot more relatable and realistic than most of Dickens's other main characters. Pip is a prodigal fool who deludes himself into acting like an idiotic jerk half the time, while the other half of his time is spent thinking about what a rotten person he is. Sadly, I think this is a very human thing. I've certainly had my Pip moments in life, and as an indictment and analysis of the power of the human mind to deceive itself GE is a pretty powerful work. However, I personally don't hugely enjoy being reminded of the flaws in my nature, so I didn't find these ruminations pleasant. Dickens deserves some props for diving into the deep and dirty of human nature, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Of the three Dickens novels I've read over this past semester GE is probably my least favorite. There isn't much there to excite the imagination or inspire the human soul. The novel certainly offers some interesting insights into the nature of the gentleman, the morality of money, and the power of external influences over our individual natures, but none of these things necessarily contribute to a book I'd actually want to read. The characters within the novel are excellent, but Pip is so unlikeable for the majority of the novel that it becomes something of a chore to read long enough to enjoy the good stuff. I'm glad I can check this book off my list, but it's unfortunately going to be taking a place at the bottom of my Dickens pile.

Score: 7/10
Read this book if: You enjoy a book that deals with issues of Victorian psychology and social ideology, or if you like a strong cast of amusing secondary characters.
Don't read this book if: You prefer novels that have a strong central plot-line or a really likable main character, or your just looking to escape from reality for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment